portfolio

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Oil Painting Demo Tutorial


I’ve had many people ask me how I create my paintings. I’ve decided its time to do a Show and Tell. This is my painting The Making of a Cowboy. I start by setting up a still life and photographing it. I use the photographs as well as the actual still life object to create my painting. You can see my marionette hanging from my easel.

I start by toning my background. In this painting I used a raw sienna. I then draw my still life on tracing paper and then transfer the drawing to my canvas when the toning layer has dried.

This image is Day 2 of my painting. I’ve done an underpainting of the puppet using white and raw umber. I’ve started the underpainting on the other objects

Questions? Feel free to contact me

Tomorrow: I’ll continue the underpainting , adding more details. Check back then