portfolio

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Rubens Crayola No. 18 by K Henderson

 
Rubens Crayola No. 18, 18 x 24, oil on cradled board

 I have a few boxes of Rubens Crayola and this one is the oldest. Although I don't know the exact date of this box, the Rubens No. 18 (my box only has 17 crayolas) first came out in 1905.

The Rubens Crayola line, started in 1903 was directly targeted at artists and designed to compete with the Raphael brand of crayons from Europe.

I love the picture of Peter Paul Rubens and the filigree. The paper wrap on each crayon also has the word 'Rubens' and the face of  Ruben although he is facing towards the right instead of the left as on the box. These vintage crayons are over 100 years old and  in great shape. 

SOLD

Also Available as a Giclee Print

See more of my Contemporary Realism paintings on My Website